New York StateWide Senior Action Council (“StateWide”) urges the NYS Legislature and the Governor to address our priority concerns in the 2021 Session. We will be strong advocates on issues related to:
- response to the Coronavirus and, moving forward, adequacy of planning for disaster preparedness/public health emergencies
- the home care worker shortage
- ensuring quality of care in hospitals and nursing homes and upholding consumer rights
- universal access to broadband connectivity, especially important due to the expanded reliance on tele-health services,
- adequate funding for services for older residents, including continued funding for StateWide’s Patient Rights Helpline and Medicare & EPIC counseling programs
- improving health and prescription drug benefits
- protecting the eligibility, rights and services of Medicaid enrollees and preventing Medicaid cuts to Enhanced Safety Net Hospitals
- improving health delivery systems and access to care,
- elimination of racial and economic disparities.
To accomplish these goals, we urge adoption of various bills and specifically urge the:
- adoption of the New York Health Act, which places patients before profits, expands benefits and achieves savings for most covered New Yorkers and the state (A6058, Assy. Gottfried/S5474, Sen. Rivera)
- elimination of the self-imposed state spending cap and the Medicaid Global Cap (A226, Assy. Gottfried/S5255, Sen. Rivera) to ensure the needed investment in services,
- increase revenues by taxing those most able to afford to pay, ending the stock transfer tax rebate and ensuring that older residents on limited incomes do not face a burden of increased property taxes.
NY Health Act (Single Payer)
StateWide supports the right of New Yorkers to have a universal, single payer health system, eliminating premiums and co-payments for access to quality health care services. For more information please see the following links:
ACTION ALERT Your voice is urgently needed to tell your Congressmember: Oppose creating a debt commission, which would allow changes to Social Security via a closed-door process to cut already modest earned benefits while avoiding public accountability. Social...
2024 STATEWIDE LEGISLATIVE ACTION TEAM IS OPEN FOR REGISTRATION Become part of our 2024 legislative leadership team, with trainings every third Thursday of the month from January - June. Meetings held via Zoom from 3-5PM. First session to be held January 18. ...