April 6, 2020 –
The League of Women Voters of Schenectady will present a panel discussion of information you would wish to have, should you or a loved one face a serious illness.
When: April 6 at 6-7:30pm
Where: McChesney Room of the Karen B. Johnson Public Library, 99 Clinton Street, Schenectady
Speakers: Dr George Giokas, Palliative Care Partners; Gwen Bondi, President and CEO of Advance Care Planning Consulting Services; Cathryn Bern-Smith, Manager of Schenectady County Senior and Long Term Care Services; Del B. Salmon, Attorney
The panel discussion will cover:
- How to speak with your doctor to best understand treatment options and prognosis
- How to communicate what is important to you, how to make sure your wishes are understood and followed by medical caregivers and family
- Differences between traditional illness care, Palliative, and Hospice Care
- Resources available in the community, what gaps exist, what insurance typically covers
- Legal steps you can take when healthy, to assure that your wishes are known and how to name a designated person can act for you, if you are not able.
Join us for this important discussion.